Circuit / substrate co-design for 5G Front-End-Module RF applications
Published : 8 October 2019
The Front End Module (FEM) represents a significant part of a smart phone cost (>3x the application processor). Today, each new smart phone generation contains an increasing FEM area fabricated with RFSOI technology (20x between 2010 and 2016), a dedicated device technology on a dedicated substrate, where STMicroelectronics and Soitec offer state-of-the-art products. Soitec substrates already allow a strong second harmonic attenuation on passive structures. Technology solutions exist to provide:
– a higher degree of linearity
– temperature-independent linearity
– intermediate linearity at lower cost.
These solutions have not yet been industrialized.
The purpose of this PhD work is to:
– optimize the design of one or more FEM functional blocks using state-of-the-art PDSOI technology,
– have these circuits fabricated
– measure the circuit performance and evaluate the benefit of exploratory substrates.