Offers : 1
GaN/Si transistor compact modeling for power and RF-5G applications
Start date : 1 October 2018
offer n° SL-DRT-18-0888
GaN RF devices are developped since more than 15 years by industrial companies and many research laboratories continue to improve this technology.
Leti wants to start a GaN/Si activity, mainly for 5G application. It will be based on Leti experience concerning GaN/Si device for power application. A first version of compact model was developped for Normally-ON transistor and is already available at Leti (Leti-HSP). Nevertheless, this model core (DC) needs to be consolidated and improved to justify its use for Normally-OFF transistor and then to be adapted to GaN-RF transistors, which are, at device structure level, very different from power devices.
Those model developpments are mandatory to determine the GaN/Si technology potential for power and RF applications.
Leti-HSP model was developped at Leti and well described device behavior (DC/AC) of GaN/Si power devices.
The first step of this PhD thesis will be to understand the existing model code (verilogA language) and to determine its force and weakness. A special focus will be needed on on the description of current stauration but also of moderate inversion regime both known as weaknesses of Leti-HSP model in terms of accuracy. Weaknesses analysis of the existing model will then be followed by the development of a new version with associated model, which will be provided to designers through a PDK (Process Design Kit)
Finally, after the study of differences between GaN/Si transistor for power and RF applications, the final objective of this PhD thesis will to to bring the mandatory modification to Leti-HSP model to guarantee its ability to describe GaN/Si device behavior in RF field.
Each activity listed above will be supported by:
• Power device compound integration laboratory of Leti with its strong expertise in GaN/Si device physics.
• Electrical characterization with the collaboration with the electrical characterization laboratory of Leti which already perform GaN/Si device characterization.
• TCAD simulation, performed by the PhD student in the simulation and modeling laboratory of Leti to deeply understand GaN/Si device behavior, to be able to build an analytical model.
- Keywords : Engineering science, Electronics and microelectronics - Optoelectronics, DCOS, Leti
- Laboratory : DCOS / Leti
- CEA code : SL-DRT-18-0888
- Contact : firstname.lastname@example.org